Welcome to the Newton Project
The Newton Project is a non-profit organization dedicated to publishing in full an online edition of all of Sir Isaac Newton’s (1642–1727) writings — whether they were printed or not. The edition presents a full (diplomatic) rendition featuring all the amendments Newton made to his own texts or a more readable (normalised) version. We also make available translations of his most important Latin religious texts.
Although Newton is best known for his theory of universal gravitation and discovery of calculus, his interests were much broader than is usually appreciated. In addition to his celebrated scientific and mathematical writings, Newton also wrote many alchemical and religious texts.
We have published over four million words of text since January 2008, and have created a special section for reviewers working for the UK Research Excellence Framework (REF). This provides a list of every document published during the current REF cycle, but reviewers should refer to the main site in order to understand the way in which the documents have been classified and arranged within the site as a whole.
Recently Published Texts
- Isaac Newton, Lectiones Opticae [CUL MS Add. 4002]
- Isaac Newton, Treatise on Church history with particular reference to the Arian controversy. [Nat. Lib. Israel Yahuda Ms. 19]
- Isaac Newton, The Conclusion [Nat. Lib. Israel Yahuda Ms. 7.2i]
- Isaac Newton, Rough drafts of some of the chapters of the work on the Prophecies [Nat. Lib. Israel Yahuda Ms. 7.2h]
- Isaac Newton, Sect. III: Of the first & second Temples and their Candlesticks. [Nat. Lib. Israel Yahuda Ms. 7.2d]